Australian Consulate-General
Hong Kong, China
Address: 23/F Harbour Centre, 25 Harbour Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong - Tel: +852 2827 8881 - Fax: +852 2585 4457


Frequently Asked Questions 

1. My Passport is Full, but it hasn't expired. What do I do?

You will need to apply for a replacement.  To maintain the security of our passports, we do not insert additional blank pages into an existing passport.

If you travel frequently you might consider applying for a Frequent Traveller's Passport (a higher fee applies).

2. How long does it take to renew a passport?

The standard processing time for passport renewal is ten working days.  As passports are printed in Australia, we are unable to offer a priority processing service.

3.  Who can act as a guarantor on a passport application?

A guarantor must be over 18 years of age and must not be related to the applicant or living at the same address. The guarantor must have known the applicant for at least 12 months (or since birth if the child is under 12 months old).

A guarantor can be either an Australian citizen holding a current Australian passport or be currently employed in a recognised profession.  For the current list of recognised professions, please click here

4. I am using the PC7 application form (one page form).  Do I need to have the photo endorsed?

No, there is no need for photo endorsement by a guarantor if you are using the PC7 application form.

5.  Can I authorise someone to lodge the application on my behalf?

No, all applications for adult passports must be lodged in person by the applicant.

In the case of minors (under 18) one person with parental responsibility for the minor must lodge the passport application.

6. Can I send someone to collect my passport when it's ready?

Yes, you may authorise anyone aged 18 years of over to collect your passport.  To do so, complete the authorisation section on the collection slip given to you when you lodge your application at the Consulate.

7. Can I authorise someone to collect a PC7 form for me?

As you must personally answer security questions when you collect the form, you cannot authorise someone else to obtain a PC7 form on your behalf.  The PC7 form is pre-completed with information from your previous passport application.

You may print your own form at Passports Online.

8.  May I use home-printed photos for my passports?

There are strict requirements for passport photographs.  Please read the instructions on the form and at Passports Online for examples.  Home prints are ordinarily not acceptable.  See the photo guidelines for more details.

9.  How do I change my name on my passport?

Names in Australian passports are issued in the name at birth (for citizens born in Australia) or the name at citizenship (for citizens born outside Australia).

You can change your name in your passport only if you can show government issued name change documentation, such as a marriage certificate or official name change document. Please see Passports Online for detailed information about accepted name change documentation.

In Hong Kong, the Hong Kong Immigration Department can issue Certificates of Registered Particulars for Australians born and currently residing in in Hong Kong. The Hong Kong Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages can issue Marriage Certificates for anyone who was married in Hong Kong.

Please note: Non-Australian marriage certificates and non-Australian change of name certificates can only be used to change a name in an Australian passport if:

For information on how your foreign document can be legalised, you should contact the relevant government authority, Consulate-General, High Commission or Embassy for the country in which the document was issued.

A full application form PC8 is required to apply for a passport to be issued in your new name.

10.  How do I change my name on my passport due to marriage?

The requirements are different if you were a) married in Australia, b) born in Australia and married outside Australia c) born outside Australia.

a) If you were married in Australia, you will need to obtain an official marriage certificate from the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state where you were married. The certificate provided by the marriage celebrant is not sufficient evidence for a change of name.

b) If you were born in Australia but were married overseas, you will need to apply to the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state where you were born for a change of name certificate or for an amendment to your birth certificate.

c) If you were not born in Australia and were married overseas you can provide an official marriage certificate from the country where you were married. This certificate must be provided by the equivalent of the Births, Deaths and Marriage registry.

For details, please visit Passports Online, or contact our office.

11.  How do I get an Australian name change certificate or official marriage certificate for a wedding that took place in Australia?

Please contact the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in your state for details.

12. How can I replace a damaged passport?

You will probably need to apply for another passport.  Bring the damaged passport into the Consulate.  Depending on the timing of any required travel, and the documents of identity and citizenship that you have, you may be able to apply for either and Emergency passport, or an ordinary passport.  Fees apply.

13.  I have lost my Australian citizenship certificate.  How do I get a replacement?

Please contact the Department of Immigration and Citizenship at the Consulate on 2585 4139 or visit their website for details.

14.  How do I get a replacement Australian birth certificate?

Please contact the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in your state.

15.  If I apply for a new passport, what happens to the visas in my current passport?  Can I still use them?

Please contact the visa office of the country that issued the visa for information about their requirements.  Only the visa issuing authority or country can provide advice on the validity of the visa, and the process required for obtaining a new visa.

16.  Can I have visa pages added to my Australian passport?

No.  When your current passport has run out of visa pages, you must apply for a new passport.

17.  Do I need 6 months validity left on my passport before I can travel?

It depends on where you are travelling.  For more information see Passports Online.

18.  Can I retain my current passport while the new one is being processed?

In some special circumstances, you may be permitted to retain your passport while we process your application.  Your request will be assessed when you make your passport application. 

In these cases, you will be required to present the passport for cancellation when you collect the new passport.

19. How do I provide proof of my Australian citizenship?

For applicants applying using a PC8 application form you are required to provide proof of your Australian Citizenship. You can do this in the following ways:

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship is responsible for citizenship matters - see their website for more information.  

To see the Frequently Asked Questions for children's passports click here.

For more information and frequently asked questions, please visit Passports Online